Friday, December 23, 2011

31 WAYS TO MESS UP YOUR MARRIAGE - #25 - FAILURE TO EXPRESS APPRECIATION

Thank you. You're welcome. I appreciate you. Words we teach our children, but sometimes we forget to verbalize them to one another.

It's Christmas this weekend. I don't know of a season that women work any harder for the family than during this holy time of year. In addition to our regular duties of being wives and mothers, we are hostesses, chefs/cooks/bakers (being careful to prepare everyone's particular holiday favorite), interior decorators, shoppers and wrappers of gifts, event planners and for some of us, members or directors of choirs and Christmas programs. It's easy to get burned out and approach this sacred celebration running on empty. A few simple words of appreciation can give us the impetus to continue.

My mother-in-law taught me early in our marriage that men thrive on praise. An occasional word of appreciation - "Thank you, Honey, for servicing the car," or "I appreciate how hard you work for our family," will give your husband fuel to run on for a long time.

I write fiction. I make up stories. I particularly love writing historical fiction -- stories based on historical fact. Imagine how appreciative Mary must have been of Joseph's understanding and protection that holy night. What about Joseph's respect and admiration of Mary's role in the drama of bearing the Savior of the world, the Son of God? Did they verbally express appreciation to each other? I like to think they did. Of course, we don't know for sure, but let's do make sure that we are lavish with our appreciation to our mates. And while we are expressing appreciation ... first of all, let's praise our heavenly Father for his unspeakable gift, our Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. Golden-

    It was great to see your blog. It is fun to see you after all these years. I would love to reconnect with you and Blaine. I don't have a number for you. My number is 817-371-3000.

    Ron Proctor

    ReplyDelete